hazel park promise zone scholarship
Residents of Hazel Park Schools who enroll in Hazel Park Schools from 5th grade - or earlier - through graduation are guaranteed full tuition and fees to be paid for at Oakland Community College. Graduates who go on to attend a Michigan institution other than Oakland Community College are sometimes able to take the equivalent scholarship to the institution of their choice, depending on their federal financial aid package (Pell Grant dollars, specifically). Questions should be directed to Kayla Roney Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org
How Does It Work?
- Students attending OCC will be fully funded for up to 62 credits within four years of high school graduation through a Pell Grant and/or Hazel Park Promise Zone scholarship.
- A student attending a college or university other than OCC is eligible for up to $1,000 per semester for a total of $4,000. Pell grant dollars awarded in a given semester are subtracted from the $1,000 for that particular semester.
- A student must submit a Promise Zone scholarship application and inform the Promise Zone Executive Director which school he/she will be attending prior to college course registration.
- A student’s FAFSA must be fully processed by a college or university in order for that student to receive Promise Zone scholarship funding.
- A student attending a school other than OCC must submit an electronic copy of his/her registration bill prior to the start of each semester. OCC will bill the Promise Zone directly.
- All students must submit copies of their grades at the end of each semester in order to receive the following semester’s funding. The GPA requirement for continued funding is 2.0.
- Eligibility for full scholarship, as described above, is as follows: entering district in 5th grade or earlier = 100% of award, 6th-8th = 90%, 9th = 75%, 10th = 50%, 11th = 30%, 12th = 20%
- Scholarships can be utilized within four years of graduation from Hazel Park Schools.